What day do you think Max will Summit

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Waiting on Weather

Hi all, Max here. The weather hasn't been cooperating with us up to this point and a week ago our target summit dates were the 15th-18th but here we are still in Base Camp waiting on a good forecast. Sitting around Base Camp has so far been the hardest part of this trip and I've been fighting off the boredom the best I can. To take up some time last week, I built a patio in front of my tent. Not something I'd normally do but it took up the better part of an afternoon and has definitely given my tent the best landscaping award. I also cleaned my tent for the first time and made an effort to organize my things and keep it clean for the rest of the trip, so far so good.

Also last week, another expedition team threw a party in their huge dome tent and provided all the food and drinks and it was cool to get to meet people from other teams that I would not have met otherwise. They have a ping pong table and we have an invite over to play whenever we want. I'm trying to be as patient as I can with waiting on the weather but it gets harder and harder as the days go on. A lot of teams have left Base Camp today to head up to Advanced Base Camp for a jumpstart when the good weather hits. I'm hoping that they summit before us because that will mean a lot less traffic up high on the mountain and reduce the risk of bottlenecks which, to me, are the biggest threat.

It's easy to become lethargic sitting around Base Camp and not want to do anything but I've forced myself to stay active wether it's hikes in the surrounding hills or sparring with Josh. After a brief sparring session my lungs are absolutely screaming for oxygen and my heart rate is through the roof all while sparing my legs from being overworked. My body has been atrophying since we arrived and I've lost quite a bit of muscle mass but what I have left is ready for a seriously demanding effort on the ascent. Our "luxury barrels" that used to be filled with snacks and other delicious treats are pretty much depleted and should be empty in a few days. I'm going out on a limb and guessing we will be done with this expedition in the next 10 days but I'm here until June if thats what it takes. I'm about 300 pages into a great 600 page book on the D-Day Invasion and my goal is to finish that in the next two days. Other than that it's hanging around hoping that the good weather is on it's way. I'd like to thank everyone for their continued support and I hope to be home soon!

1 comment:

  1. Sparring? Teach the limey a bit about wrestling!! Matter of fact--I think a bet is in order----

    ReplyDelete